Skip to main navigation Skip to main content


Absentee Voting

Q: How do I request an absentee ballot?
A: You or your spouse, parents, or children may contact your County Clerk to request an absentee ballot application by phone, fax, electronic mail, mail, or in person.  The County Clerk will mail you the absentee ballot application or you can get an application in person at the County Clerk’s office. You can either return the completed application by mail or you can hand-deliver it to the County Clerk’s office. Your spouse, parents, or children, or a third party cannot hand deliver your completed application to the county clerk.

Q: When can I apply for an absentee ballot?
A: You can request an absentee ballot any time before an election if you know you are eligible to vote absentee.

Q: What is the last day I can apply for an absentee ballot?
A: The deadline for applying for a mail-in absentee ballot is 7 days before an election. The completed application must be received by the County Clerk by mail or in person by the 7-day deadline. The absentee ballot must be received in the County Clerk’s office by 6:00 p.m. local time on election day for the ballot to be counted.

Q: Where is my mail ballot?
A: To find out if your ballot has been mailed, received and accepted, please contact your County Clerk’s office.

Q: When are mail ballots sent out?
A: The County Clerk will send you a mail absentee ballot within 3 days of the state ballot printing deadline, which is 50 days before the election.

Q: My mail ballot has not arrived, is lost, or damaged. What can I do?
A: Contact your County Clerk’s office regarding the status of your mail ballot or to request a replacement ballot.

Q: When must the voted ballot be returned?
A: Absentee ballots must be received by mail by close of polls at 6:00 p.m. on Election Day to your County Clerk’s office.

Q: What if I make a mistake while voting my ballot?
A: If a mistake is made with a pencil, erase the mistake completely, and correct the mistake.

If a mistake is made with a pen, mark your choice on the ballot, and circle the name of the candidate for whom you want to vote.  Contact your County Clerk’s office with any questions.

Q: What if I find out that I will be in the county on election day and want to vote at my precinct?
A: Any person who has received a mail-in absentee ballot and discovers at least 7 days before the date of the election that he or she will be in the county on election day, and who has not voted the ballot, must cancel his or her ballot by returning it unvoted to the County Clerk’s office. There are no provisions in state law for returning an unvoted ballot less than 7 days before an election or on election day, unless you are a military or overseas voter.

Q: What if I or my spouse have a medical emergency?
A: Each may request an absentee paper ballot be issued following the county clerk’s receipt of the notarized form SBE 45, Medical Emergency Application for an Absentee Ballot, and must apply within fourteen (14) days or less of an election.  Each may request that a mail-in ballot be mailed to the in-county or out-of-county address.

More information on Absentee Voting.

Additional questions? Contact the Board of Elections or your County Clerk's office.